About the William H. Cotton Scholarship
CUTX created the scholarship program in 2016 to acknowledge William H. Cotton's 46 years of dedication and service to DISD and CUTX. He retired as an associate superintendent for DISD and as a board officer for CUTX. Following his retirement, he continued to serve the District in many capacities and garnered numerous awards before passing away in May of 2019 at the age of 85.
The $20,000 William H. Cotton Scholarship is awarded to one DISD educator or administrator seeking to pursue continuing post-baccalaureate education. This included certifications to further their career in the field of education for the benefit of the DISD community and its students.
Since it's inception, the William H. Cotton Scholarship has awarded a total of $120,000 to DISD educators. Past recipients include a principal at B.H. Macon Elementary School, a co-founder of Solar Preparatory School for Girls, the first all-girls public elementary school in Texas, a teacher for the Talented and Gifted program at the Yvonne A. Ewell Magnet Center and a teacher with Zumwalt Middle School's Accelerating Campus Excellence Initiative (ACE).
We are now accepting applications for the 2023-2024 Academic Year!
- Must be a CUTX member with a checking account prior to submitting an application
- Checking account, and all other accounts at CUTX must be in good standing
- Must be a full-time ort part-time DISD faculty or administrator
- Must be intent to further your career in the field of education and serving the DISD community during the course of the scholarship term
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident
- All required attachments must be submitted with your application
- CUTX employees and family members of CUTX employees are NOT eligible for this scholarship