Why did my funds get sent to the state Comptroller?

If a membership account goes 3 years without any contact or transactions, the state of Texas requires that we send the funds to the member as unclaimed property. If your membership was escheated you can contact the state here to retrieve your funds. We recommend that you contact us at least once a year or perform some kind of transaction to keep your membership active. If your address and phone numbers are kept up to date we will do our best to reach out to you before the membership is closed. We also recommend keeping family members accounts that you may be joint on active as well.